Part I: A Primer on Skincare Ingredients [INFOGRAPHIC]

Saturday, May 2, 2015




On an uneventful Saturday, I found myself scouring the internet for more information on skincare ingredients. Thrilling, I know... Well, actually since some of you are as into skincare as I am, if not more, maybe it is your idea of a thrilling weekend activity. *shrug* Well, I found that there were of resources on the basic order in which you should apply products (oil cleanser, other cleanser, chemical exfoliators and toners, essences, serums, ampoules, emulsions, lotion, cream, sunscreen in the am, and sleeping packs in the pm in case you forgot + an oil to seal it all in), but there were relatively few resources on when you should start introducing your skin to various skincare ingredients out there. Okay there were a few resources like Paula's Choice and CosDNA, but they were encyclopedic, and I had to sift through pages and pages to really get a handle on each ingredient. I couldn't find a one-pager for me to consult QUICKLY when purchasing skincare products. So I took matters into my own hands and decided to make one.

Below is a guide to skincare ingredients which may help you (as it did me) understand:
  • different classes of skincare ingredients
  • the benefits of each type of ingredient
  • lists of all of the forms of each class of ingredient

So check it out! I made it because it's pretty and it will help me when I buy new products. I hope it's helpful to you too! You can save a version by double-clicking on the photo.





Skincare Ingredient Cheat Sheet Infographic  Updated
Updated 5/22 - added Betaine Salicylate to BHA category


You may have noticed that I haven't included any of the new and popular Korean beauty ingredients. In Part II of this post (ETA: later this week), I plan to tackle how the wild and wonderful ingredients of Korean skincare fit into this chart.

Did I miss anything? What other resources do you consult when buying skincare?

-Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment