TG2KB Part 3: Korean Beauty Brands

Thursday, July 2, 2015


Welcome back, this is part 3 of TG2KB, where I will be introducing Korean beauty brands! I've been pretty motivated to keep this series going as I feel we've reached peak Kbeauty lately. The other day Byrdie.com ran an article on best kept Korean SHOWER secrets (lol!)  where they interviewed Kbeauty industry insiders on their shower routines. Link to that article here. So enough with the intro chatter, let's get you prepped to take the plunge aka make your first kbeauty product selection!

tactical guide to korean beauty kbeauty part 3. korean beauty brands overview. korean cosmetics, makeup, skincare brands, excluding hair care, personal care, body care, and beauty supplements/foods/pills. new to korean beauty. beginner to korean beauty. korean beauty secrets. which korean beauty products to buy.
You dive right in like Steven Yeun!


I'm going to limit my scope to just skincare and makeup brands that focus on women's cosmetics. There are plenty of personal care, body care, hair care, beauty supplements/foods, and men's lines available too, but since there are literally a metric elephantpoop-ton number of brands in the Kbeauty marketplace, I pretty much have to leave them out.





THE TRIFECTA: AMORE PACIFIC, LG, COREANA

Every discussion on Korean beauty needs to start with a quick introduction to the big dawgs of Kbeauty. Amore Pacific, LG (yes like the electronics company), and Coreana are the 3 biggest cosmetics companies in Korea. They each own many beauty brands, many of which are among the bestselling brands in both the domestic and international marketplace.

To see a list of Amore Pacific brands, go here.
To see a list of LG brands go here.
Coreana is a distant third place and does not have an international site.

That's not all - I'd mentioned before in the first post of the TG2KB series, that there the Korean beauty industry is competitive. You'll see why in just a few seconds! There are hundreds of Kbeauty brands out there. Even though I may have listed over one hundred brands, this list is nowhere near complete! And new brands emerge all of the time.

KOREAN BEAUTY BRANDS BY TYPE

So I've categorized the brands into 6 categories. They are:

Prestige | These are the luxury brands. As you might imagine, they command the highest prices.
Clinical | These brands were begun by dermatologists / clinics, similar to a Dr. Brandt or Dr. Dennis Gross. There are clinical brands for every budget.
Hanbang | Hanbang basically means the brand is grounded in the Korean herbal medicine tradition. They often use plants like ginseng, mugwort, wormwood, etc. These brands are often also luxury brands. 
Mass-market | These are budget and mid-end brands that don't differentiate themselves as a clinical, natural, or trendy brand. 
Natural | These brands use natural and sometimes organic ingredients. There are brands for every budget in this category. 
& last but not least Trendy | Technically this doesn't have to be a category on its own, but this is my sweet spot.. and a lot of brands from this category get featured on this blog so I called them out specifically. In my mind, I hold these brands on par with like a MAC cosmetics, Too Faced, etc. These brands are mostly mid-end brands that are often celebrity or celebrity makeup artist-endorsed.

OK so finally! On to the brands.

Just for fun, I juxtaposed each category of brand with a map of a city or place that is related to the category in some way. Can you guess which places are featured and why they might go with e/ category? Also, all of the graphics on this blog are now pinnable. You will see a 'pin it' button when you hover over the image.

tactical guide to korean beauty kbeauty part 3. korean beauty brands overview. korean cosmetics, makeup, skincare brands, excluding hair care, personal care, body care, and beauty supplements/foods/pills. new to korean beauty. beginner to korean beauty. korean beauty secrets. which korean beauty products to buy.
The right-most brand that got cropped out is "ISA KNOX"
I've called out some brands that are either EXTREMELY popular and/or I have purchased before.

AMORE PACIFIC makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $$$$
Known for/as: The big daddy of Korean cosmetics
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their CC cushion
Products I Didn't Like: Green Tea Seed Oil, I didn't dislike it, I just questioned if it was worth the money. The Time Response Skin Renewal product line didn't really do it for me either, but my mother remains a loyal customer.
SU:M 37 makeup | skincare | $$$
Known for/as: The top fermented cosmetics brand
Products I Want to Try: Miracle Rose Cleansing Stick, and everything they have.
O HUI makeup | skincare | $$$
Known for/as: They do a lot of stem cell research and products.
Products I Didn't Like: "The First Selection", a sticky cream that felt a lot like pure petrolatum.
HERA makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $$$
Known for/as: Their makeup is very well-known. Gianna Jun / Jun Ji Hyun, a top actress is the spokesperson for the brand.
Products I Want to Try: All of their CC cushions
IOPE makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $$
Known for/as:  A lipstick featured in the hit Korean drama, My Love From Another Star. The one that starred Gianna Jun / Jun Ji Hyun. Also, good makeup.
Products I Want to Try: The cc cushions and the Water Fit lipsticks.
LANEIGE makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $$
Known for/as: Wonderful "waterful" products
Products I Want to Try: Their new EX water sleeping pack, their cushions.
 tactical guide to korean beauty kbeauty part 3. korean beauty brands overview. korean cosmetics, makeup, skincare brands, excluding hair care, personal care, body care, and beauty supplements/foods/pills. new to korean beauty. beginner to korean beauty. korean beauty secrets. which korean beauty products to buy.
Again, I've called out brands that are either popular and/or I have purchased before.

DR. JART+ makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $$$
Known for/as: A Sephora brand
Products I Want to Try: Ceramidin Liquid, Premium Beauty Balm, Hydrogel Masks.
DR. G "GOWOONSAESANG" makeup | skincare | $$-$$$
Known for/as: Really great skincare.
Products I Want to Try: Their bb creams, and anything really.
KLAIRS skincare | $$
Known for/as: Having wishtrend.com as their stockist, being good for sensitive skin.
Products I Want to Try: all of their cleansers, the vitamin C serum "juicy drop"
IT'S SKIN makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $-$$
Known for/as: An affordable, dermatologist-developed brand, with cute packaging!
Products I Want to Try: Their PRESTIGE line and their makeup.
MEDIHEAL skincare | $
Known for/as: Their masks.
Products I Want to Try: All of their anti-aging masks.
LEEJIHAM (LJH) skincare | $$
Known for/as: Cosmeceuticals, but best known for their propolis and tea tree products.
Products I Want to Try: The propolis ampoule.
SNP skincare | $
Known for/as: Developed by SNP dermatology clinic, known for animal face masks!
Products I Want to Try: Their animal face masks.

tactical guide to korean beauty kbeauty part 3. korean beauty brands overview. korean cosmetics, makeup, skincare brands, excluding hair care, personal care, body care, and beauty supplements/foods/pills. new to korean beauty. beginner to korean beauty. korean beauty secrets. which korean beauty products to buy.
I've tried 3 of the most popular brands. My experiences below.

SULWHASOO makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $$$-$$$$
Known for/as: The top hanbang brand in Korea.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Overnight ginseng mask, cc cushion, their cleansing oil.
HISTORY OF WHOO makeup | skincare | $$$-$$$$
Known for/as: Sulwhasoo's main competition.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their setting powder.
Products I Want to Try: Myeong-ui-hyang treatment, their lipsticks, who am I kidding, everything.
SOORYEHAN makeup | skincare | $$-$$$$
Known for/as: One rung down from the top hanbang brands.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their eye cream.
Products I Want to Try: Almost everything.


The brands whose logos are in Korean are: Allvit, Hyosia, Bichigain (listed twice, sorry), and the top left logo is not in Korean, but I misplaced my notes on which brand it was. If you know, please let me know in the comments below!

tactical guide to korean beauty kbeauty part 3. korean beauty brands overview. korean cosmetics, makeup, skincare brands, excluding hair care, personal care, body care, and beauty supplements/foods/pills. new to korean beauty. beginner to korean beauty. korean beauty secrets. which korean beauty products to buy.
Rightmost brand names that are cropped out: Cinderella Story, Forencos.
Details below on some of the most popular brands and brands I have experience with.

MISSHA makeup | skincare | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Their makeup in general, their "first treatment" essences (means first essence you put on) which supposedly can be substituted for the famous SKII essence, their ampoules.
Products I Want to Try: Their first treatment essence, their ampoules and bb creams.
Products I Didn't Like: Their Pure Source masks have alcohol.
MIZON makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $$
Best Known For/As: Their skincare in general, especially snail and starfish products, and chemical exfoliants.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Snail Wrinkle Care Sleeping Pack.
Products I Want to Try: Their snail bb cream, their all-in-one snail cream.
LIOELE makeup | skincare | $$
Best Known For/As: Their princess-y branding, their makeup.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: I'm currently testing their bb creams.
Products I Want to Try: Their eyeliners.
Products I Didn't Like: Their water drop sleeping pack.
ETUDE HOUSE makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $
Best Known For/As: Their princess-y branding, and good quality at low prices.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their lipsticks, blushes, their base products, their toners, sunscreens, everything. They are one of the biggest budget brands in Korea.
Products I Want to Try: Everything targeted to people aged 20+.
Products I Didn't Like: I didn't dislike their lip tints, but they were only ok.
TONY MOLY makeup | skincare | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Their cute animal and fruit branding, good value for the price.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their face masks, their eyeliners.
Products I Want to Try: Their lip products, their cc cream, and prestige snail cream.
HOLIKA HOLIKA makeup | skincare | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Again good value and cute packaging. This is a recurring theme in the Mass-market category.
Products I Want to Try: Any of their makeup
Products I Didn't Like: Actually I liked their blush, but it will not be to everyone's taste.
TOSOWOONG skincare | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Great quality / price ratio.
Products I Want to Try: Their propolis serum.
SHARA SHARA makeup | skincare | $-$$
Best Known For/As: The brand with the jam jars.
Products I Want to Try: The ampoules which come in jam jars - berry, water, honey flavors.

tactical guide to korean beauty kbeauty part 3. korean beauty brands overview. korean cosmetics, makeup, skincare brands, excluding hair care, personal care, body care, and beauty supplements/foods/pills. new to korean beauty. beginner to korean beauty. korean beauty secrets. which korean beauty products to buy.
As you can see, there is no shortage of natural and organic options! This is probably the largest category of brands in Korea! I really enjoy a lot of these brands. At the very least I keep a lust list from each brand pictured above. I've elaborated on the biggest, most popular brands and some of my personal favorites below.

THE FACE SHOP makeup | skincare | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Their cleansers.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their cleansers.
Products I Want to Try: I'm open to trying most of their products.
Products I Didn't Like: I avoid purchasing anything they have with alcohol.
SKINFOOD makeup | skincare | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Their wash off masks, their serums, cleansers.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their royal perfect honey serum.
Products I Want to Try: Their strawberry products and their blushers.
INNISFREE makeup | skincare | cruelty-free | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Running great sales like buy one, get one free! their light moisturizing lines like green tea, etc., their sunscreens, face masks.
Products I Want to Try: Their sunscreens.
Products I Didn't Like: I probably won't try their face masks due to their alcohol content, but others enjoy them.
COSRX skincare | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Functional no-frills git-er'-done skincare.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their exfoliators and toners.
Products I Want to Try: Their snail mucin essence.
WHAMISA skincare | $$-$$$
Best Known For/As: A beautiful organic brand that uses ferments, flowers, and antioxidant-rich fruit extracts.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their hydrogel masks.
Products I Want to Try: Everything.
NATURE REPUBLIC makeup | skincare | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Affordable green skincare.
Products I Want to Try: They have a "first treatment" essence similar to Missha and SKII's.
PURE HEALS skincare | $$
Best Known For/As: Being an affordable natural option.
Products I Want to Try: Their propolis ampoule.
CREMORLAB skincare | cruelty-free | $$ - $$$
Best Known for/as: Sparkling mineral water, awesome package design.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: The mineral treatment essence, another "first treatment" essence.
Products I Want to Try: Everything.
CROWLEY LARGE FACTORY/JOSEON DYNASTY skincare | $$
Best Known For/As: Their Beauty of Joseon Dynasty cream.
Products I Want to Try: That cream.

The brand logos that are in Korean are Soyedodam, Jayeonmaeul, and Crowley Large Factory.

tactical guide to korean beauty kbeauty part 3. korean beauty brands overview. korean cosmetics, makeup, skincare brands, excluding hair care, personal care, body care, and beauty supplements/foods/pills. new to korean beauty. beginner to korean beauty. korean beauty secrets. which korean beauty products to buy.
Details below on some of the brands I have experience with.

3 CONCEPT EYES (3CE) makeup | skincare | $$
Word Association: MAC ATTACK! This brand is the one that makes me think of MAC the most.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Creamy lipsticks, their sheet masks.
Products I Want to Try: Gel Eyeliners, blushes, and highlighters
Products I Didn't Like: I thought the eye crayons could be better
TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL (TCFS) makeup | skincare | $$
Best Known For/As: Really adorable package design, great quality skincare and makeup. The pumpkin sleeping mask is a cult product.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their eyeliners and eyeshadow crayons.
Products I Want to Try: Everything.
SIXTEEN BRAND (16BRAND) makeup | skincare | $$-$$$
Best Known For/As: Celebrity makeup artist Chosungah's brand.
Products I Want to Try: Their "finger pen" color cosmetics and their new paints.
CLIO makeup | $$
Best Known For/As: A very popular brand, known for having one of the best eyeliners.
Products I Want to Try: Their eyeliner and their "Lipnicure" shiny top coat for lipstick.
PERIPERA makeup | $-$$
Best Known For/As: Clio's baby sister brand.
Best Product(s) I've Tried: Their cushion blusher and lip tints.
Products I Want to Try: Everything.
Products I Didn't Like: I had mixed results with their cushion lip products.
CHOSUNGAH 22 makeup | skincare | $$-$$$
Best Known For/As: Celebrity makeup artist Chosungah's namesake brand, only recently started shipping internationally.
Products I Want to Try: Their "Wonder" skincare products, all of their makeup.
BANILA CO makeup | skincare | $$
Best Known For/As: Reminding a lot of people of Benefit Cosmetics.
Products I Want to Try: Their honey skincare products, their cleansers, base products and primers.


BEST AND WORST PRODUCTS OF EACH BRAND

I've mentioned the AsianBeauty subreddit a few times before on this blog, but if you are interested in Korean (or Asian) cosmetics, I definitely urge you to at least start lurking there. The community is 24,000+ people strong and growing every day. I find it is invaluable to be able to tap into the collective knowledge of the community. There are a lot of resources on skincare, makeup, brands, anything you can think of. Plus everyone is very friendly and helpful!

For example, this particular survey was done there on the best and worst products from each brand. 


That's all for today. I considered writing a blurb for every brand but thought it would result in an overwhelming wall of text. I can add details on more brands, just let me know which ones you're curious about! Also, tif you have any questions, just send me a note or comment down below! Next week's topic is on Kbeauty retailers, but for now if you want to do a little window shopping, most of these brands can be found on KoreaDepart.com.




READ THE NEXT TG2KB INSTALLMENTS

INTRO TO KBEAUTY
Part 1. Introduction to Korean Skincare
Part 2. Introduction to Korean Makeup

BRANDS & STORES
Part 3. The Brands
Part 4. The Retailers
     -> Link to a Price Comparison Search Engine (Results from verified sellers only)

RESEARCHING KBEAUTY PRODUCTS
Part 5a. Researching Products; How to Figure Out What You Want to Buy - CosDNA, Popular Products w/ International Stockists
Part 5b. Researching Products; How to Figure Out What You Want to Buy - AllofCosmetics, Korean Products w/o Strong International Presence
Part 5c. Researching Products; How to Figure Out What You Want to Buy - Blogs and Youtube Channels

KBEAUTY STARTER SKINCARE ROUTINES
Part 6. My Skincare Routine & Reasoning
Part 7. Wishlists, or "Make Me a Routine"

"ADVANCED" K-BEAUTY
Part 8. "Advanced" KBeauty - Buying Services & Korean-Korean E-tailers
Using Avecko by SnowWhite&thePear
Using 11st by SnowWhite&thePear
Part 9. Navigating the Korean web: Naver Blogs, Korean Youtubers. Coming soon.
Part 10. Guide to the Hwahae App
Part 11. Beauty Shopping in Seoul 

No comments:

Post a Comment